Our Community Involvement
We believe in making connections that make a difference
At The Pediatric Connection, we listen to our heart. To us, that means giving back to our community and making a positive impact in the lives of our neighbors.
- Annual recognition and support of nurses throughout Central Virginia during National Nurses Week
- Annual supporter of the Salvation Army Angel Tree
- Annual participant in the Marine Corps Toys for Tots program
- Active sponsor and participant in the American Lung Association’s Asthma Camp
- Annual sponsor of Care Connections with MCV
- Annual sponsor of the American Family Fitness/Children’s Hospital Run/Walk
- Respiratory Internship/Sponsorship: Implemented in the Fall of 2007, TPC and J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College joined efforts to offer Respiratory Therapy students an internship in pediatric home care. The selected students get the opportunity to gain valuable, real-world experience in patient care while working closely with TPC Respiratory Therapists.
- Christmas Family Adoption: Every year since 2003, The Pediatric Connection chooses a recipient family and makes their Christmas wishes come true.
- Indigent Care Program: Through this program, The Pediatric Connection provides as much as $100,000 of free medical care every year for families who cannot afford to pay for health care equipment and supplies.
Annual “Make a Difference Day” Celebrations:
- 2010: “Mother’s Day Out , Part II.” We invited the moms of our high tech patients to be our guests on October 23, 2010 so they could have a chance to just get out of the house and enjoy a day just for themselves. They were treated to breakfast and lunch, beautiful music by a harpist and Susan Greenbaum and participated in everything from manicures, facials and massages to learning to knit, making homemade toys and painting. It was a day touched by love and awesome volunteers and one that will remain in the heart of all who were there.
- 2009: “Helping Those Who Helped One of Ours.” One of our staff members suffered a debilitating illness and spent 8 weeks at HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital of Virginia. They helped her return to health and in return we helped them. We spent the day planting new flowers and bulbs, cleaning out the garden beds and grounds and putting up hanging baskets. We donated Adirondack benches and chairs for their patients to use while enjoying outside time. We also handed out pumpkins and get well cards, made by the students of Blackwell Elementary, to the patients and provided lunch for their staff.
- 2008: “Random Acts of Kindness.” The Pediatric Connection staff descended on the streets of Richmond to give back to our community during a particularly difficult time. We randomly distributed $1,000 in bus passes and gas cards; and at a local grocer, we gave $10 gift cards to 50 customers in addition to paying for the entire grocery bill for two random families in the check-out line.
- 2007: “A Day at Blackwell Elementary.” More than 40 children participated in the festivities with pumpkin decorating and face painting while The Pediatric Connection staff cleaned the schoolyard and worked on various improvement projects throughout the building.
- 2006: “Mothers’ Day Out.” We created a special day designated to celebrating the 50 moms of the children we serve. These special women were treated to a day of pampering and relaxation at local salons, craft and cooking classes, movies, and apple picking.
Our Upcoming Events:
- Fourth Monday of every month, Feed the Homeless
- Saturday, October 9, Children’s Hospital Run
- Saturday, October 23, Make a Difference Day
- Thursday, November 4, Silpada Party to support New Vision, New Ventures.